Virginia Creeper Trail (October 2021)
I was able to sneak in riding the Virginia Creeper trail in October of 2021 in between a couple of college football games (Virginia Tech & Tennessee). The trail is not long but has significant elevation, to the point where there are a dozen or so outfitters that will rent you a bike and haul you to the top. I had my own bike and after trying 3 or 4 outfitters I finally found someone with an available slot. The Fall is peak season up there so keep that in mind if you decide to visit and book in advance. Had I done so I would have saved myself some trouble. In fact, I'm not sure I would have been able to rent a bike (I took my own).
I rode a few miles of the trail the evening before using Damascus as a starting point. This proved helpful with logistics the next day. The next morning I returned to Damascus and was hauled up to the starting point. The area is beautiful and the first 17 miles or so you just coast back into Damascus.
The trail is 34 miles total. When I got back to Damascus I took my car and bike to the other end of the trail in Abingdon and road that back to where I had stopped the night before.
The trail is really beautiful. Only regret is that I didn't have the time or energy to bike up instead of getting a ride. I would have liked to earn my 17 mile coast.


Comments
Post a Comment