Gap Trail Day 2: Rockwood to Ohiopyle -- 28 miles (June 2021)
This was a much easier day. The overall mileage was much shorter and the miles themselves much easier. I don't recall much in the way of scenery, it was just one long ride by the river into the gorge.
We briefly stopped in Confluence and spoke with a young local (can't recall his name) whom I believe was somewhere on the spectrum. Nice enough chap.
We rolled into Ohiopyle (our destination) early in the afternoon and grabbed some food at Falls Market. I think I had an Italian Sausage. We got in the Yougiogheny river for a refreshing and much needed swim. I, being a giant pussy, was the last one to go underwater but I did, eventually, do so.
We checked into our Airbnb and moved on to our cultural event for the week which was a tour of Fallingwater. This was well worth it and one of those things you have to experience to really appreciate. Pictures don't do it justice. Not many people had the type of vision that Frank Lloyd Wright possessed. It's interesting that the person or family who owned it donated it, speaks to the power of the place. I only wish we had the time to see Kentuck Knob. Hopefully someday in the future.
After Fallingwater we got dinner at Falls City Pub. Nothing to much to speak of there. We moved on to Ohiopyle Hosue Cafe, at least that is where we were supposed to go. We ended up in the bar, not sure if it was part of the restaurant or it's own place but we ended up there with the intent of killing time. The previous night I had bought a canned "Bahama Mama" from Sheetz and could not drink it. It was fucking gross. I think Brendan ended up forcing it down. I felt like we needed a proper Bahama Mama and the bartender made us a few which where ON POINT. When made CORRECTLY it's a tasty drink.
As we were drinking we caught the attention of a rather large gentleman named Mark. Mark had a story. He sounded Scottish but he mentioned Serbia. He said he was part of the Screaming Eagles which would mean the U.S. Airborne. I don't know what to think. He kept saying 37 jumps. My best guess is that given his age perhaps he was in the Bosnian War. I think he probably had killed at least a few people. He took a liking to us, so much so that he gave us some colorful nicknames: Retard, Bitch and Fuckface. It was entertaining but after he bought us the second Jamison shot I had to pull the plug. After all, I AM BITCH!!!! We went back to our Airbnb and passed out.









Comments
Post a Comment