C&O Trail Day 4: Paw Paw, WV to Cumberland, MD - 30 miles (June 2020)



C&O Trail Day 4:
Paw Paw, WV to Cumberland, MD (30 miles)

We started the final day very realistic. We were happy to be riding and glad it was our last day on the trail.  As I alluded to before 

We started the day getting breakfast at Sweets and Eats in Paw Paw.  It was a donut shop with some breakfast. I would say that, by our city and suburban standards it was a little bizarre but we got good food and coffee and took our sweet time eating it.  The donuts were good not great, our breakfast was good not great.  Good enough for riding. 

When we finally got going the going was slow.  We were fatigued, you could feel it.  It usually takes us about five miles to warm up, it seemed to take 15. We usually rested every 10-12 miles, we were resting every 5 miles.  

We finally got going and the delirium immediately set back in.  I was complaining a lot (PUSSY ALERT) and we weren't really focused on enjoying ourselves, we just wanted to finish.  

We started the day at mile 155.  At mile 175 we stopped to eat our peanut butter filled donut (this was a goddamn good donut). While we were enjoying our goddamn good donut some old dickhead dressed in full COVID Zombie Apocalypse gear approached us.  His brilliant addition to our trip was that the last 10 miles of the trail were the roughest and that we really had problems ahead of us.  Hey, thanks asshole!  Fuck that guy.  What a douche. 

He was actually wrong, I didn't notice any difference in the trail. I think he was just one of those assholes who regrets his life choices or is too afraid to do anything beyond baseline conformity.  Fuck him in the asshole with Gary's seat-post. 

The last mile of the trail is a bit interesting.  You pass by a pretty large sewage treatment plant.  We were lucky, whatever cycle the plant was in it didn't stink too badly. We did notice that the city of Cumberland was building some new sports facilities next door.  Strange they couldn't find a better location, though there was a neighborhood right there as well.  Not prime real estate but I guess the turds have to go somewhere.

The last half mile into Cumberland is breath taking. You start above the city and descend down into it, really picturesque.   A nice reward for finishing.  

<Gary pics>

Cumberland itself is ok, it's got services for riders and some spots to eat (avoid the BBQ place at the end of the trail, I've heard from multiple people that it sucks:  Crabby Pigs I believe it is called)

"Part of the journey is the end".  I've heard this quote, not sure where it originated from.  It certainly sounds like something uttered by a douche bag but there is an element of truth to it.

Honestly, I had a great time.  I would do the C&O trail again, but not before I had completed some other trails (GAP, Greenbrier, I&M). Gary hated it and will never do another overnight trip in his life. 





Comments